Our government has a moral responsibility to provide respectful, high quality care for senior citizens in long term care. The global pandemic has brought to light the inadequacy of our current nursing home model, such as underfunding, low wages, and the expanding role of private corporations.
A Green Government would:
- Adopt a not-for-profit model for all future nursing home developments.
- Increase the funding to nursing homes to ensure 4 hours of care per day to all residents.
- Increase wages for all workers in the nursing home sector and improve training and standards of care.
- Develop an affordable housing model for seniors who do not require nursing care, particularly in rural areas.
- Establish facilities, based on the special care home model, for those autistic adults who cannot live independently.