Health services can now be offered virtually with the use of technology. We can extend primary health care services in all communities by establishing multi-practice health care centres throughout the province. There is an urgent need for mental health services, services which were inadequate long before the pandemic.
The pandemic has brought to light the important role played by the Office of the Chief Medical Officer of Health. We depend on that Office to provide scientific advice without political interference, and to have the resources it needs to address a wide range of public health issues.
A Green Government would:
- Ensure that the position of Chief Medical Officer of Health is independent and directly accountable to the Legislative Assembly.
- Establish protocols for the diagnosis and treatment of Lyme Disease drawing on best practices currently used internationally.
- Ensure that the vaccination records of all New Brunswickers are tracked and kept up to date, and that vaccines are readily accessible.
- Phase-out industrial releases of cancer-causing pollutants in communities to reduce diseases caused by harmful chemicals.
- Tax high sugar drinks to discourage their purchase.
- Raise the minimum age to purchase tobacco and vaping products to 21 years, and ban the sale of flavoured vaping products designed to appeal to children.