Applications are open to find candidates in all districts (except Saint Croix) to run for the Green Party of New Brunswick (GPNB) in the next provincial election or by-election. The first stage is to find and approve people to be nomination contestants.
We encourage everyone interested to be a GPNB candidate to apply early to ensure you are eligible to present in a nomination contest and to receive information that will help support your nomination.
The process to be a GPNB nomination contestant is explained briefly below. For a fuller description, see the "Candidate Nomination Procedures" section of the application package.
Download the package here:
To verify if the nominations are still open, find the closing dates for nominations or learn who is the nominated candidate in a particular district, go to the Nomination Status page.
Overview of the process:
- Ensure you are qualified to be a candidate for provincial election, info on the Elections NB website: https://www.electionsnb.ca/content/enb/en/representatives/provincial-candidates/pci.html#1
- Consult with a member of your local Registered District Association (RDA). The RDA list is at the link below. If you cannot contact an RDA member, contact the GPNB office. https://www.electionsnb.ca/content/dam/enb/pdf/registries/DISTRICTASSOCIATIONS-ASSOCIATIONSDECIRCONSCRIPTION-PVNBGP.pdf
- Complete the application Form A. Include an attachment sheet with details of responses to the numbered questions, as required, and complete Form B, candidate agreement, with signatures.
- Write a biography of no more than 300 words and source a photo of yourself suitable for publication on the Party website. If you succeed to be the candidate after your RDA nomination selection process, these will be featured on the GPNB website.
- Submit the completed Forms A and B and attachment(s), with your biography and photo, to the GPNB office.
- The GPNB Provincial Council will vet your application using the following process, which may be stopped at any stage if the applicant is deemed ineligible:
a) Review the nomination contestant application Form A and Form B.
b) Conduct a phone or zoom (online video) interview with the applicant.
c) Check the applicant's references.
d) Conduct a deep review of the applicant's online activities and other published writing.
e) Applicant submits a copy of a criminal record check completed in the previous six months, to be paid for by the applicant or their riding Registered District Association (RDA).
- If you are vetted successfully, the GPNB will register you as a nomination contestant with Elections New Brunswick. At this point, you must follow the legal procedures related to being a nomination contestant outlined by Elections New Brunswick: https://www.electionsnb.ca/content/enb/en/representatives/provincial-candidates.html
- At a date to be determined, the GPNB will close applications for nomination, for the province as a whole or for individual ridings.
- After nominations have closed, the local RDA or the GPNB executive will hold a nomination contest with the approved nomination contestants. All registered members of the GPNB in that RDA may vote in the contest, if they have been a member for 14 days prior to the contest.
- If you win the nomination, you will become the GPNB candidate in the next provincial election or by-election for that riding.